Sunday, October 24, 2010

"I will not be home until after Christmas!"

Is it just me, or are there far too many kids running around out there selling stuff for their schools, sports teams, cheer leading squads, acne-no-more groups, and what-not??

Every year from about October 15 until New Year's Eve, I am flooded with cute little neighbors' kids (and not so little ones anymore), ringing my doorbell and asking if I want candy, wrapping paper, gift tags, scented candles, flower seeds for next year's garden -- just name it, and they're selling it -- until I find myself pretending I'm not home, just so I don't have to answer the door. If this keeps up, I am going to start claiming them as dependents!

Listen -- I don't mean to sound mean or anything, but I've been this route in my life. With four kids of my own all into sports, music, and other activities, we hit up our family and neighbors, too. I admit it: I was guilty of allowing my own kids to fleece the populace, too! But, now that my kids are grown, there are the grandchildren who are hawking wares. My closets are full of things I will never use and will probably pass down to them someday. The last thing I need is to buy more needless stuff from people I barely know!

The two kids next door, who were rather little when we moved here, are now both in college. Hooray!!! This lets me off the hook, I thought. WRONG answer. Just yesterday as I was leaving my house, the girl bolts out her front door, catalogs in hand, yelling, "Miss Marie! Would you like to buy some Yankee Candles for my (whatever) team?" My ears had shut off the instant I saw the catalog in her hand, so I didn't really catch what she was selling for.

"Uh, Megan...I'm in a rush here, but I'll take a look later on, ok?" I replied rather weakly. I think she could read my mind at that point, but happily trotted back into her house, promising to come back later. Make no mistake about it:  she will. 

Now, seriously...for real, my husband has very severe allergies. I can't even use deodorant that is scented! Just a whiff of a scent when he opens up the medicine cabinet in the bathroom would send him into fits of sneezing and pack up his sinuses as quick  as a flash flood in Texas! Then, I have to deal with the aftermath and trust me, there is no chance of  FEMA waiting to help me! I can run, but I can't hide!  I am somehow going to have to explain to Megan again, for the umpteenth time, that we can't have any scented whatever's in our house. You would think that over the past 10 years, she would remember that, but NO. No such luck!

The three new kids that moved in on the other side of us are all grade -schoolers. Oh, joy! We have how many years to look forward to, now, of door-bell dodging?? At least 7 to 9, by my count. Only, these kids are super smart! They will snag me as I exit my car, waiting at the fence with their big, sad eyes just pleading with me to buy some thing or other for their schools or teams. For good measure, their puppy is standing there, too, tail wagging and looking all lovingly pathetic!

It just isn't fair! I don't get the opportunity to return-fire! My family all lives about 200 miles away from me, so they're no help! All I can do is post a sign on my door (and hope all peddlers are old enough to READ it), that says, "I will not be home from now until after Christmas!"

I understand you, Mr. Scrooge. "Bah, humbug!" sounds about right to me right  now!

No comments:

Post a Comment